Thursday, April 7, 2011

100% Natural Pregnancy

My choice to be vegan has not been only about my dietary habits. I have incorporated a compassionate choice in every thing that I do. Compassionate for our planet, compassionate for me and now compassionate for baby as well.

In my pregnancy I have encountered obstacles finding products that work for me. For example, instead of having a "pregnancy glow" my face is all blotchy but I have yet to find natural, organic, chemical free makeup. I continue to go sans makeup because I'd rather my skin be naturally blotchy than covered up with products that might further irritate it.

I am only now beginning my second trimester but I feel my skin stretching out and I immediately began to search for a lotion that I could use. The extra obstacle in this case would be my current sensitivity to anything that is scented. Luckily my boyfriend found this amazing fragrance free, biodegradable, vegan lotion by Desert Essence. It has been the best pregnancy item so far that we've purchased.

They recently posted a contest on Twitter: "Share the story of why you switched to #natural & enter to win a year's supply of your fave DE product!" Enter here there is still time to win. :)

Below is my contest entry:

Not using natural beauty products is simply not natural in my opinion. Like most women, I never thought twice about what was in my body lotion, shampoo, lipgloss or any of my other "must have" products that were part of my repertoire. Until I did. Last year due mostly to health reasons, I made the decision to go vegan overnight. Once my research led me into the ethical reasons, the impact that we consciously choose to make in our everyday decisions, I realized I would have to change more than just my eating habits. As drastically as I changed my dietary lifestyle, I made the same choice with everything else. Makeup, perfume, lotions, shampoo, toothpaste, deodorant, you name it. If the ingredients list sounded like a sophisticated science project that I would not be able to complete, it was tossed or given away. Luckily I made all these changes before becoming pregnant with my first child. I am proud to say that I am having an all natural, ecoconscious pregnancy filled with compassionate choices and I intend to raise my child with the same values. With this pregnancy, I discovered Desert Essence's fragrance free lotion. Thanks to baby's aversion to chocolate and other sweet scents, I was determined to find a shea/cocoa butter whose smell would not make me lose my breakfast. Desert Essence to the rescue! It has truly made a huge difference in my day to day routine, no more itchy belly for this mommy to be! I hope that more people decide to realize what it is they're using on their bodies. We have the power to make a difference simply be becoming aware and amazing companies like Desert Essence make it possible for the changes to be compromise free.

No comments:

Post a Comment