Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Mommy-hood "Sacrifices"

I always knew that the day I'd decide to have a child it would change my life forever. I never gave it much thought past that general feeling though.

Mike and I are pretty much still children ourselves. We watch cartoons while eating breakfast, play video games, read comic books, treasure our action figures/stuffed animals and we are just overall lighthearted fun people!



I'm 15 weeks pregnant (yay!) and am already noticing changes or "sacrifices" that will have to be made once our little peanut arrives. I'll clarify that the word sacrifice is in quotation marks because I feel it has a negative connotations since I truly am open and excited about the adjustments I'll be making.

Ever since we became vegan I have taken active interests in volunteer organizations, animal sanctuaries, documentary screenings and other events promoting this healthy compassionate lifestyle. As it happens, most of the events that I want to attend, like Farm Sanctuary's Thansksgiving Feast FOR the TurkeysNYC 3rd Annual VegFest, and Walk for Farm Animals are all done in October/November at which time I will be busy at home with a precious newborn. Also this year New York Comic Con will be 4 days and of course, held the day after my due date.

There are other events coming up in the midst of my pregnancy, like Veggie Conquest's Veggie PromForks Over Knives Screening, and the most painful one for me to miss-Jack's Mannequin will be performing in Central Park.

Even with all of those events I'll be missing, I have so many wonderful things to look forward to. Soon I'll start feeling my baby swish around in my belly, we'll know if we're having a boy or a girl, I'll be celebrating my first Mother's Day with my mom & grandma, we'll paint our room and start decorating for peanut's arrival and oh yeah, in October we'll be HAVING A BABY!



Yes, a lot of things will be different, both on our social calendars and behind closed doors. But this is something I've always known I wanted.

Some of my single friends look at me like my life is over. My life is just now beginning. I have never been a party girl, I don't care for clubs or happy hour. Being a full time mom is not going to be much of a stretch for me. I've already started making changes, among them taking a serious interest in learning how to cook a variety of healthy, vegan meals. Next on my list is to learn how to knit or crochet. It goes without saying that I have a lot of love to give. Besides, Mike and I will finally have an excuse to be in the toy section for hours without getting weird looks from people!

Also, what better way to enjoy those events next year with our child and show them first hand what living a green, compassionate life is all about. And you know, how fun comic book conventions and cosplaying is. ^_^

2 comments:

  1. I found your blog looking for other vegan pregnant mamas! I really enjoyed reading your last few posts. I am due in October as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for reading! Yay for October babies, congrats on your pregnancy! =)

    ReplyDelete