Thursday, February 17, 2011

The day we found out 2/2/11

I still can't believe that I'm pregnant! Right now I am about 8 weeks along in my pregnancy. I found out that I am pregnant on Wednesday, February 2nd and it still hasn't fully sunk in. I've been told by other mommies that it never really does! I took a home pregnancy test that morning and although you are supposed to wait 3 minutes to get the results, the second pink line on my test popped up before the 2nd minute was up. I stood there hovering over the sink with my mouth just wide open. Hubby was home but I knew he'd ask for medical confirmation, so the first person I told was my mommy, followed by my aunt who is also like a mommy to me. My grandmother was third and my uncle would have been next but he was working!

Once Hubby left to work I went to the doctor. I'd lie if I said I wasn't nervous. I went as a walk in and thought I'd have to wait forever to be seen but they called my name pretty quickly. After I provided what was needed for the lab, I could already tell what the verdict was when the doctor called me in. Once she confirmed I was pregnant, I started crying and my hands were shaking. She instructed me to go downstairs to make my prenatal appointment and told me what to expect during that visit. When I made the appointment, the young lady congratulated me on my pregnancy and asked if it was my first. I replied by crying. She hugged me. I cried more. Everyone was giggling at this point. I must have come across as a hormonal nut!

As soon as I left the clinic with the confirmation I knew I'd need for Hubby, I went straight to Babies R Us. I kept envisioning telling him about our pregnancy in a creative way, perhaps with a bib that said "I love Daddy" or something along those lines. The more I walked around the store the more anxious and excited I became. I called Griselda and shared the news with her next because I just couldn't not talk about it at that point. After her I also told Barbie. I asked them both for advice on how to tell the daddy-to-be but the more I thought about it the more I just wanted to call him and blurt it out.

I left the store empty handed, jumped on the train and went to his job. After some small talk, I told him I had gone to the doctor earlier that day. When he asked me why and what the doctor said, I handed him the paper that had my pregnancy results and just waited for his reaction. I wish I could describe his face as he read the results and allowed the information to slowly sink in. He was pleasantly surprised but didn't say much, mostly because he was at work. Once he was home we started having "baby talk" and it hasn't stopped since!

That day I used an online estimated due date calculator and it told me I was about 6 weeks pregnant and it showed pictures of what the baby should look like. It looked like a peanut to me so when Hubby got home that night, I told him I had a peanut inside me. Ever since then we have been lovingly referring to the baby as "peanut".

And that's all about the day we found out we are going to have a baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment