Thursday, February 17, 2011

Valentine's Day 2011

When and how we would announce our pregnancy to Hubby's family & friends was the popular topic in the days that followed our first prenatal visit. He really wanted to create a baby-themed level on Little Big Planet, somehow incorporating clues leading up to the big news. I had several ideas given that I'd had ample time to brainstorm and get inspiration from stories online. We couldn't fully agree on any ideas as I felt creating the game level would take too long & I wasn't sure how much more I could hold out on sharing the news. He didn't agree on my ideas only because he was fully sold on his.

In the mean time, on February 11th I went to Motherhood and purchased my first maternity outfit with the intention to wear it for Valentine's Day. I had entered a contest in January for tickets to a screening of All Star Superman where some of the cast and crew would attend for a panel after the movie. When I received confirmation for the tickets (yay!) the screening happened to be scheduled for Valentine's Day, which meant there was no need to plan anything. It occurred to me though, that it would be great to go to dinner after the movie with his brother to tell him the news. Being that it was going to be Valentine's Day & we'd be going to dinner, I started coming up with clues to hide in a fake "specials" menu and have the hostess slip them in before seating us.

Hubby preferred the idea of saying grace before our meal and including that we were thankful for our baby on the way. I thought it was perfect because it was simple yet meaningful and we'd get to do it early enough in the dinner that I wouldn't be temped to blurt it out.

After the movie (which was a fun experience) we met his brother, girlfriend & baby Renesmee along with our friends Jasmine & Allan at one of our favorite vegetarian restaurants in Soho. While we were eating our appetizers I kept nudging at Hubby wondering when he'd volunteer to say grace. I was starting to get a little antsy and was starting to wonder if anyone had noticed I was wearing maternity clothes, or running to the bathroom after every sip of water I drank.

We all love Renesmee and we were taking turns holding her. Allan was sitting across from me and was the one holding her at the moment. I was making baby talk and said "soon it'll be my turn". In all honestly, I simply meant it'd be my turn to hold her next, but Louis (Mike's brother) started asking me if I wanted a boy or a girl and at what age I'd want to have a baby. I glanced over at Hubby & asked as subtly as I could if I could please just tell them. He didn't seem to mind.

Without answering any of his questions I just blurted out "I'M PREGNANT!". I had to say it three times!!! Everyone was completely surprised. Jessica & Jasmine hugged me & congratulated me. I think at that point all Louis was saying was "wow". =)

It was amazing to finally share the news with his family & friends & it was my first time saying it in person. I wish I could have seen my family's reaction when I told them. I guess I'll have to plan better & learn to hold my tongue when I find out the gender so that I don't blurt that out as well!

As of right now, Hubby wants a boy and is willing it to be so. My mom swears it's a girl. My grandmother thought it was a girl, then she had a dream the night after my prenatal visit where I was knitting a blue sweater so now she thinks it's a boy. My aunt also thinks it's a boy but more because she wants it to be a boy. It's no lie that I have always said I'd want a girl first but right now I just want peanut to be healthy. A boy or a girl, either way this baby will be a blessing!

A Happy Valentine's Day indeed. =)

5 week belly (more belly than baby!) 2/14/11
                              

No comments:

Post a Comment