Thursday, February 17, 2011

Our first prenatal visit 2/8/11

Our first prenatal visit was on my auntie's birthday. Hubby went with me and helped me pack snacks. I was warned that the first visit is the longest and that I would be seeing several doctors, taking up to three hours. I took a bottle of water, grapes, cashews, cranberries, a banana and had a nice breakfast of oatmeal with toast before leaving the apartment.

Since my appointment was the first of the day I didn't have to wait long between doctors. I took my "peanut journal" where I had listed all the questions I had along with the multi-vitamin capsules I was already taking to make sure that would continue to be enough. The obstetrician that met with me that day was Dr. Love. Her name could not have been more perfect. :)

They did lab work, I met with a counselor and the office manager to help me apply for financial assistance as well as a nutritionist to talk about my eating habits. The visit with the nutritionist was nothing like I expected. I was concerned that they'd freak out about me being vegan and tell me I'd have to change my new lifestyle (which I am not about to do). But she was great! She's a vegetarian which is why talking to her was so easy. I was able to speak freely and got all my questions answered.

Hubby was by my side the entire time and even participated with the question asking. Sadly the clinic doesn't have the equipment for sonograms, which is what we were looking forward to the most. I was told I'd get my referral appointment in the mail in a few days. Luckily it didn't take that long for me to receive it and I know now that my first ultrasound will be on the 23rd. I'll get a more "accurate" estimated due date but for now Dr. Love told me the baby is due September 26!

I still shared the poem with Hubby after having filled in the due date month despite the fact that we didn't get to see peanut. The days that followed have been filled with me researching midwives, birthing centers, scheduling tours and consultations and following up on the paperwork they submitted for me at the clinic.

My next doctor's appointment is on the 22nd to get my lab results, followed by our first sonogram on the 23rd. I signed up for a free weekly prenatal yoga class that I hope to start on the 21st, so next week will be a busy one! I'm looking forward to it all. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment