Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Extra Long Weekend 02/17-02/22

Last Thursday when I started this blog, I had a horrible toothache. It was a pain so severe that I had to be extremely creative to keep myself from crying. I couldn't eat, I could only drink water at room temperature and there was no getting me to sleep.

I paced back and forth for almost 2 hours just rubbing my belly and speaking to peanut, holding back the tears. I didn't want peanut to worry that mommy was in so much pain. From exhaustion I managed to fall asleep with a bag of ice on my cheek only to be woken up with the same intense pain.

I called my doctor who conveniently does not work Fridays. I asked for the dentist who works at the same clinic and she happened to be on vacation for the next two weeks. The receptionist offered the emergency room as my only option. That's when I couldn't hold it in anymore. Hubby held me as I cried hysterically, not from the pain, but from fear. Without speaking to my obgyn, I was worried about getting x-rays, anesthesia or any dental procedure period. I'd rather endure the pain than do anything that might hurt peanut, but with this pain I wasn't able to eat and I knew that wasn't good either.

I wound up getting a root canal. The dentist was very understanding of my situation and managed to calm me down. Hubby stayed with me as long as he could but he was already late for work. Once she numbed my gums the worst was over. She prescribed me some painkillers but I didn't feel comfortable taking them and luckily have not had the need to take them either. The discomfort after the anesthesia wore off lasted about two days. I'm still only chewing on the left side but I'm grateful that I can eat again. Even though I gave in to the crying, I kept telling myself that things would work out and everything would be ok. I'm so thankful that it's all over and that Hubby was there to comfort me.

On a brighter note, yesterday was a delightful day. I spent some time with Louis, Jessica & Renesmee, as they were nice enough to take me to Fairway to buy some groceries. We made a pit stop at Toys R Us to look for a walker for Renesmee and instead of helping Jessie, all I did was drool over nursery sets and the adorable spring outfits they have for girls. If our little peanut is a girl, Hubby is in so much trouble!

I came home with a ton of energy and cooked enough food for the next three days. I reorganized our pantry and fridge and surprised Hubby with some hot cocoa when he came home from work. Whenever I have a doctor's appointment, I'm not able to fall asleep the night before unless it's from exhaustion but at least I get to be productive.

This morning I find out my obgyn, Dr. Love, is being moved to another clinic. Today was my last visit with her. My next appointment in 4 weeks will be with another doctor but I am really hoping to have a midwife by then to avoid all this inconsistency. All of my tests came back normal and I learned that my blood type is A positive.

I came home and took a nap which resulted in me sleeping for over 3 hours. I dreamt about my first sonogram which won't be until tomorrow but to say I am excited is an understatement. Hubby will be meeting me there so I just hope he is able to get there on time. I've never been to this hospital so I hope I find it ok by myself as well. Luckily the appointment is at 3pm which means I'll have time to catch up on sleep in the morning because I'm pretty sure I will have a hard time falling asleep tonight as well.

Once they do the sonogram they will give me a more accurate due date so it's possible that I am not 9 weeks pregnant. I could be earlier along. I doubt that I am further along but I guess we'll find out either way for sure!

After the sonogram we will grab some dinner and wait until 6pm when they are holding a tour of their birthing center. It will give me a chance to see the rooms in person as opposed to the cheesy hotel-like pictures they have online. I would love to make a firm decision about where I'll be giving birth before I enter my 2nd trimester but we may need more time to research and ask questions.

Tomorrow I will be logging on to give all of the wonderful details from our first sonogram. I still can't believe it!

19.5 hours and counting! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment