Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Baby Name Game

It has begun! Hubby and I have officially started throwing out name possibilities. I won't be listing them here because I am not quite ready for other people's opinions. And boy does everyone seem to have an opinion about absolutely everything, it's exhausting!

I will however say that I seem to be throwing out more girl names and Mike has been throwing out more boy names. While we both want a healthy and happy baby it's difficult to shy away from the fact that we do have slight gender preferences.

As far as strategizing for a name, my biggest concern right now is what last name we will give the baby. We're not married, nor do we plan to be. This is not because we don't want to spend the rest of our lives together, we just disagree with the legalities of marriage. At the very most we would have some kind of celebration of our love or something equally cheesy. But that's a topic for another time perhaps. The point is, we obviously have different last names.

What to do when baby arrives? I would really like for us to all share a last name and I don't believe in hyphenating or "merging" them together. That is just lengthy and annoying. (My personal opinion-really hope no one takes this personal as I am not judging anyone). I have zero attachment to my last name, mostly because my father and his side of the family are all jerks. I don't believe Mike has any attachment to his last name either. But we can't just give Peanut a third random last name. Which brings us back to square one.

This all bothers me because the three of us will be a family. I keep fighting against my gut feeling that having the same name would make us more of a family than if we had different last names, somehow tying us closer together, but I know that's not true. Case in point, my mom & dad. Having the same last name did not stop us from being a broken family.

Really the more I write on this subject the more I realize I kind of just needed to vent a little bit. At the end of the day what matters the most to both of us is that we are together, healthy and happy, loving and supporting one another. We'll figure out the logistics of it eventually. We have 7 months to do so!

Choosing Peanut's first name will definitely be fun though. It has been so far. Hubby & I had such different opinions about what kind of name our child should have. The gap has been closing in more and more as we continue to explore new names. I wonder how soon we'll be able to agree on one once we know the gender!

No comments:

Post a Comment