Thursday, March 17, 2011

No More Baby Shower Sadness

A few days ago I had a couple of tweets stating that I was stressing out trying to have a baby shower the week leading up to Mother's Day. A lot of my awesome mommy-to-be friends on twitter were telling me it was too soon and that I am not supposed to plan my own shower! (Follow me on twitter @VeganBabyBump)

I realize that I am only 10 weeks pregnant and that tradition calls for your shower to be a) thrown and paid for by someone else and b) thrown 6-8 weeks before your due date. However, I have a few things that I feel are getting in the way of what tradition calls for.

For starters, I live in New York City and all my family and closest friends live in Miami, Florida. My mom and grandmother are coming to visit me for Mother's Day and it occurred to me that maybe I could just have an early shower so that they could be a part of it. I can't afford to go home for the sake of just a shower to having it there. Although it would be great, it just isn't practical.

I went back and forth through a lot of "planning" which included a lot of tradition breaking, such as asking guests to chip in for costs. (I know that's a big no-no but I was getting desperate). I was getting frustrated, sad, anxious, I would cry, I even screamed into a pillow. I have always dreamt about how my baby shower would be and not having my mom there just doesn't fit in with what I want.

At the end of the day, Hubby held me and said the most comforting thing. I can't remember word for word, but the message was that I should just enjoy the week that my mom and grandma will be here and let the rest just fall into place. Not everyone knows yet that I'm pregnant so there is still a possibility that someone will throw me a shower.

But honestly, realizing now that the most important thing for me is to share my pregnancy with my mom & grandma, if I end up having a baby shower-great, if not-then that's ok too.

It took me longer than it should have to realize that what's important is already coming to me and I am so grateful that I have my boyfriend and my family that love and support me through this amazing journey.

In lieu of having this rushed, extremely early baby shower, I've opted to plan a nice family brunch at V-Note which is this amazing vegan restaurant that I'm sure my mom & grandma will enjoy.

Can't wait to celebrate Mother's Day with three generations, soon to be four!

No comments:

Post a Comment