Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Nutritional Stress

I have been vegan for 6 months. Well, it'll be 6 months exactly tomorrow. It was a decision that I made mostly for the health benefits and I've never looked back. In the past 6 months my energy has increased, I've learned how to cook and I am overall more involved with what goes into my belly. My decision to continue on my vegan journey is no longer limited to just the health benefits, but it involves ethical reasons as well. Now that I'm pregnant, I get a lot of extra attention to my choice of eating habits.

There is absolutely no medical proof that I need to eat animal products for the well being for my baby. Everything I need I can get from a vegan diet so long as I eat correctly. Same can be said for non-vegans. Stuffing your face with a double cheeseburger from a fast food joint doesn't mean you are meeting your protein needs for the day.

I have zero intention of changing my lifestyle now just because the majority of society seems to be close minded about the way I choose to eat. I struggle with this when I go to the doctor or every time I tell someone new that I'm pregnant. The only nutritional value that I cannot obtain from a vegan diet is vitamin B-12, which I compensate for in my daily multi-vitamin.

With all of that said, I have never been so aware of everything that I eat as I have been since the moment I found out I was pregnant. The first few weeks I did exceptionally well, eating fresh fruits and veggies every day in between meals. The further I've gone into my pregnancy with the nausea and the discomforts kicking in though, the more I worry about if I'm eating well enough.

Since this pregnancy was a surprise (a good surprise of course) I didn't get to prepare my body for pregnancy. Unfortunately, I am overweight to begin with and I've never been a super active person. I make it a point to walk as much as I can now to ensure that I am not sitting on my butt all day, but I feel that isn't enough. At the same time, I am scared to try jogging or other forms of cardio (which I've done before), since I'm still in my first trimester.

All of this is just stress building up which goes against my trying to stay positive throughout this exceptional journey I'm on. I am somewhat of a perfectionist when I want to be and this is definitely one of those times where I want everything to be perfect. I don't want to do anything that may cause my little peanut to be hurt in any way.

In the mean time, all I can do is try my best. Eat fruits & veggies, take my vitamins daily and walk around the block for 20 minutes. If I can do more than that I will but I shouldn't focus on it too much because it's emotionally draining!

My next prenatal appointment is in exactly 2 weeks and my next sonogram in 3 weeks and 2 days. I will occupy the time til then reading my new book and researching more earth friendly baby products. :)

2 comments:

  1. I love that you are sticking to your vegan lifestyle! I've been a vegetarian for the last 5 years although up until about 4 months before I found out I was pregnant I started eating a little bit of fish. I have had the same experience as you with the eating well at first and then falling off a a bit with all the sickness I was "enjoying". I am overweight as well but do not consider myself unhealthy. I do wish I had been able to loose some weight before I got pregnant but it is what it is and I'll just have to try to do so for the next one! In the meantime I'm doing the best I can with fruits and veggies, am drinking tons of water and am walking as much as I can (trying to get in 30 mins a day at least 4 days a week...working up to 7 days if I can).

    We do the best we can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelli! I think it's awesome that you've been vegetarian for so long. I was a stubborn meat eater and thought I could never live without my chicken or steak. How silly of me! While it's only been 6 months since my dietary change started, I will never go back for both health and ethical reasons. I truly admire people who have been doing it for years since it's not easy being around others who don't understand. It's amazing how many people tell me, especially now that I'm pregnant, that I need to stop being vegan or I'll get sick.

    Not sure what part of the city you live in but I go to free prenatal classes on Mondays & that has been helping me a lot as well. This pregnancy caught me between jobs which is why I HAVE to make the effort to walk every single day. Otherwise I really am just not active. I admire full time working mommies-to-be who manage to find the time and strength to juggle it all. :)

    We do the best we can, and we'll continue to do so, for ourselves, for our baby who needs us-and that is all that matters!

    P.S-You're the first person to comment on my blog! (((hugs!!!)))

    ReplyDelete