Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Cloth Diapers and Strollers

Now that Hubby & I have finally chosen a crib, we need to start agreeing on other important things for our registry. I hope to begin our official registry after our 12 week sonogram at the end of this month and continuously add things until we know the gender and can finalize the list.

Since we are both so involved in this process and want everything to be as earth friendly as possible, a lot of time goes into researching every single item. To make it somewhat easier, we've decided to tackle on 1 or 2 items a week until we agree on which one we feel is right for our baby.

This week the attention is on cloth diapers and strollers. Since before we knew I was pregnant, we always said that if we had a baby we would use cloth diapers. This conversation came up after watching No Impact Man and neither one of us really gave it much thought after that. Until now of course. I began looking into cloth diapers yesterday, trying not to limit myself to the major baby store chains.

There are so many options! I feel a little overwhelmed because I am not used to the lingo just yet. Hubby is a little hands off with this one. As long as it's an organic material and the inserts (if any) are cloth material as opposed to the disposable ones, he's on board. Right now the ones I seem to understand the most are pocket diapers and am leaning towards G Diapers because they have both cloth inserts and biodegradable disposable refills. Right now I feel that the disposable refills may come in handy for specific situations such as going to the park or for when baby is older and grandma wants to babysit a few hours.

I am definitely not against the extra "work" involved with cloth diapers, which (please someone correct me if I'm wrong) is only going to be doing extra laundry. Cloth diapers are comparable to disposable diapers if not better, they are softer on the skin eliminating diaper rash worries, they help make a happy planet and ultimately save you money!

If anyone is already using cloth diapers or at least speaks their language, I could use all the help I can get! From the most part, the feedback that I'm getting makes sense in that I will have to inevitably try out a few brands and styles before I figure out what works best for my baby.

Notice I haven't even looked at strollers yet! Not sure that we'll even be using one at the beginning. We live in Manhattan so space in our apartment is limited but I definitely want to register for one anyway because we will use it eventually. Even then, I know Daddy-to-be's favorite thing in the world is going to be whatever baby sling we choose. But that's an item we'll look into next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment